Immigration status of Haitians born in the Dominican Republic.

Immigration status of Haitians born in the Dominican Republic.

Posted by jerry on May 17, 2013 4:46 pm

It has come to my attention that politicians in the Dominican Republic have decided that they have a "dilemma", or at least that is how they would like to call it and has been the headline for local newspapers.

I have lived in the Dominican Republic and I have seen the antagonistic relationship that exists between the two neighboring nations but the right of citizenship is something; at least I do not consider it to be a virtue but a God given right.

Some politicians in the Dominican Republic are arguing that Haitian nationals that have children born in Dominican territory should not be allowed to become Dominican citizens....

When any person is born they are entitled to a birth certificate, that certificate must come from the place of birth. How can I hold a birth certificate with the place of birth being from a particular place in a country but none the less you are not from this country? This is a contradiction. futhermore making it an irrelavent argument with no subtantial basis to even consider it as a "Dilema".

This is an absurd argument that negates the right to exist for these children, the basic rights of immigration, the right to request a passport, the right to have an identity. The Dominican republic does not have a welfare state with benefits for there citizens, so the impact would not be that of financial burden (at least in not in that sense) but more of that eternal strife of not being able to accept the historic happenings of 1822.

We have an obligation to stand up for these children that do not have voice a in society, there condition of being more unfortunate than others should not be the premise for those in power to punish them. 
Sort:

Become a Volunteer

Not yet a registered UNICEF volunteer? Join us!

Topic Tags